Change of Status Paperwork

Change of Status:

Ok folks here we go with the next serious round of paperwork after the K1 visa status. What is required? First off here is the general documents page. The following are the forms required with listed extra documentation required for our K1 application. Documents required for other applications may vary. Read the instructions carefully for details pertaining to your application.

1) I-485 - Application To Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status.
a. Fee of $325 (Be aware of older forms with $315 listed)
b. Copy of Birth Certificate
c. Copy of Passport page with non-immigrant visa (K1 page the put in the passport)
d. 2 Photos (passport styles, we had ours done at FedEx-Kinkos).
e. Fee of $70 for biometrics processing (include on one check with above form fee)
f. Vaccination report (medical within last year from K-1 so only this was needed)
g. G-325 – Biographic information
h. Copy of I-94 arrival and departure record (you get this when you enter on K-1)
i. Copy fiancé visa approval notice
j. Copy of marriage certificate
2) I-864 – Affidavit of Support from sponsor. (not to be confused with the one done for the K1
a. Copy of Federal Tax returns for past 3 tax years
b. Evidence of Current Employment
c. Copy of Sponsors Birth Certificate
Note: This is not the same form filled out during the I-129f paperwork. It is a separate and somewhat more involved form. Biggest difference is the requirement for copies of 3 years of federal Tax returns.
3) I-765 – (E)mployment (A)uthorization (D)ocument or EAD
a. Fee of $180
b. Copy of I-94 arrival and departure record (yes another one)
c. 2 Photos (Passport Style taken within the last year)
Note: The EAD can be filed with the Change of Status or separately. It also can be E-filed though it seems the process is a bit glitchy. Also you will still need to send in the supporting documents (photos and I-94) separate from the online part. You can file for this document as soon as you have an I-94 on entry.

Got that ? Good. Cause its probably different for you. If I ever get suicidal I will try and map out all the various branches this particular filing seems to allow for. I thought the I-129f was nutz but this one really is worse. The amount of actual documents is about the same. But the verbiage to wade through to determine what it is you need for your case is insane. On the other hand, I am either getting better at reading the instructions on these forms (scary thought) or this one has less gotchas than the I-129f process like the Written statement or bank deposit records. Either that or I missed them in the midst of the mountain of options pertaining to all the various paths one is supposed to take through the instructions depending on why they are filling the form out.

Checked all the docs – Check
Double Checked all the docs – Check
Triple Checked all the docs – Check

Just as a hint I would advice making sure all the form rev’s are up to date and still able to be filed. If you download off of the USCIS website you should be fairly safe. However they are far from infallible.

Filing:

The location to file to is different now than from when I started. Used to be change of status went to the USCIS service center the same as your K1 paperwork but that is no longer the case. Now k1 folks applying for change of status send their I-485 applications to Chicago. Great. Chicago’s processing date for I-485 happens to be Feburary 2005. FIVE as in last year 18 months ago. Great. Just Great. Not anything we can do about it. Hopefully the 05 is just a mistake and it is supposed to be 06. Doubt it though.

Also if you didn’t notice, this is the time you rack up the most fees. The I-129f process was $170. The Change of Status, Biometrics and related EAD applications total up $575 in application fees. Have already ranted about that but it still steams me.

Comments

Paul said…
As you point out, the status adjustment paperwork is effing unbelievable! It took my wife and I ages to put ours together. We ended up with an enormous parcel that cost $14 in postage!

Paul
http://myk1fiancevisaexperience.blogspot.com/

Popular posts from this blog

Permanent Permanent Resident

The Paperwork

RFI and Misc